2007-02-12

Seed Savers Exchange (Recommendation)

Speaking of seeds, you don't have to build a high-tech oubliette which will survive a nuclear winter (or global-warming summer) to help conserve them. There is always the Seed Savers Exchange for interested gardeners. People sitting on nascent gardens, as we are in our new house, can still order from their catalog. Those who spend half their time in their garden, EJB, might actually like to become a member.

The Seed Savers Exchange is targeted at plants you eat. There is also a related Flower and Herb Exchange.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well duh Kevin I have been a lifetime member of SSE for years. In case you didn't notice SSE is in Decorah, Iowa which is ten miles north of Calmar.

My Grandmother took me there regularly when I was little because that is where she got her ground cherry seeds.

On many years I actually offer seeds in both SSE and FHE, but being out of the country I'm not doing it this year.

KRM said...

Yeah, I noted it was near the squid-worshipping capitol of Iowa. How much demand do you normally get for your seeds?

Anonymous said...

For a seed that isn't offered by many people like the purple foot long beans or purple brussel sprouts I get maybe 15-20 requests. For something more common like ground cherries or variegated hot peppers I get maybe 5 requests.