2007-02-22

Hunan #2 (Chow)

Attempt the second. I got a significant amount of the Hunan bean flavor I'm looking for, and I think the sweet/sour balance was proper. It was still good -- can a stir-fry with zucchini in it ever be bad? -- and the wife gave it higher marks than the first attempt. Still, a ways to go...
  • The hot/sour balance still failed the heat.
  • The depth was better, but I'm going to need to resort to further tricks to achieve what I want without meat.
  • I'm missing some critical flavoring I haven't hit upon yet.
Here's the bullet.
  1. Gently fry in a large wok:
    • Toasted sesame oil: 1T.
    • Dried hot peppers: 6. I increased the dosage to address the hot/sour balance.
    • Ginger: 1T, grated.
    • Garlic: 4 cloves, grated.
    • Salted black beans: 2T, after reconstituting with boiling water.
  2. Add items that need extra cooking:
    • Roasted peanuts: ¼c, frying for about 5 minutes.
    • Carrots: 1, peeled, sliced in ¼" rounds. Because I made the carrots so thick I also cooked these before adding the sauce for a few minutes.
  3. Turn this into a sauce by adding:
    • Sake: 2T. I used a Sake Gekkeikan that we opened last night with sushi but that wasn't much to my liking; my previous attempt I squandered some Sakagura-shochu.
    • Soy sauce: ¼c.
    • Rice wine vinegar: 2T. I increased the dosage to address the sweet/sour balance.
    • Brown sugar: 2T.
    • Pepper, freshly ground: ½t.
  4. Add your vegetables and cook them until they are done. I used:
    • Water chestnuts: ¼c, sliced.
    • Bamboo shoots: ¼c, sliced.
    • Red bell pepper: 1, diced.
    • Zucchini: 2 medium, unpeeled, sliced in ½cm rounds.
    • Bean sprouts: ¼c.
  5. Serve over rice.

No comments: