2007-10-27

Pumpkin Carving

This year I carved the sleaziest pumpkin it has ever been my pleasure to carve -- but I really like it.

I got the pumpkin three weeks ago because it was so cheap, so this morning when I finally realized I should get shaking and cut it, its bottom had begun to soften and rot. I decided I needed a carving that only minimally relied upon the pumpkin's shaky structural stability.

I cut the pumpkin completely in half at the mouth, with a third of it on the bottom. The bottom was the weakest part, and since I basically turned it into a small dish it was pretty easy to remove the insides and rotten portions. If I'd just taken a plug out of the top and tried scooping everything out I think that the weight of the upper pumpkin coupled with all of my powerful masculine scraping would have reduced the bottom to pie filling.

For attractive presentation, I rotated the pieces so the teeth don't properly line up. This gives it a nice toothy maw.

I'm so happy with the results, and it was so easy to prepare compared to my normal carving methods, that I may always make pumpkins like this in the future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, if the pumpkin talked, the whole top of the head would move up and down. I guess it is Canadian?

KRM said...

Haha, NDM said the same thing :-)

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of an explodingdog.com stick-figure pumpkin.