2007-10-11

Criminal Indulgences

Well, egged on by my father during his last visit, we (by which I mean I) finally pulled the trigger and replaced our CRT with something flat and sexy. What came out of the box is the largest 1080p LCD which will fit in the 43" throw of our old wall unit thingy.
In its cage, it looks like this. Not very impressive in a snapshot, but the picture is a big difference over our last TV, especially from its DVD input (not shown). We need to find some sort of furniture or something to fill the new void beneath the television, and route some of the cords to make them less visible.

One day, we may have something better than a 480p signal to feed this thing!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be interested in hearing about your selection process...

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

Now you are ready to get !

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

bah link looks fine in preview but doesn't work when i submit...

Anonymous said...

Having some problems, Chris?

Anonymous said...

It worked the first time, I went to it...

Chris said...

yeah the link works fine, but it is supposed to be more than just a '!'. :)

Q said...

Ray, this is the same line as the Mits I have. I looked at dozens of TVs around CU and online. Once I narrowed it down, I read reviews from AVS Forum which just proved that picture quality is highly subjective. The reviews did help me identify perceived shortcomings of the different model and determine whether I agreed with them or just didn't care.

I narrowed it down to a Sony, a Sharp and the TV I got and probably because Good Vibes had the best viewing room for their TVs (as compared to Best Buy), I decided on the Mitsubishi. I didn't buy it from Good Vibes, but that is another story.

The good news is that by being later adopters, you guys are saving some space (narrower, slimmer, shorter cabinet), some power (about 80 watts) and you get some neat things called x.v.Color and Deep Color where I'm stuck with only PerfectColor.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about this again recently as I have traded a significant amount of my free time from playing WoW to watching TV again. Working my way through my Battlestar Galatica DVDs right now, Stargate is next...

KRM said...

Well, an overriding concern for me was fitting the TV in a 43" space. If I didn't have that issue, I would have selected a different unit -- the one I bought has the slimmest width in its size class, with no comparable competition.

Otherwise, I would have gone for the cheapest 1080p LCD in the size I wanted.