2007-03-26

Hunan #3 (Chow)

Attempt the third. Only slight progress from attempt the second, I'm afraid; I overshot on the heat correction to the point that the wife (who is no spice lightweight) found it a bit uncomfortable to eat. Switching from rice to soba didn't help with the heat mitigation, of course.

I doubled the ginger and salted black bean liquor from my last recipe, and threw in a fresh serrano pepper. The ginger and serrano finished kicking the hot/sour balance up to what I wanted, and the extra liquor slightly nudged the depth in the right direction. I'm still missing some magic vegetarian ingredient to add some meat-fat-like profundity.

I've updated the Kitchenarium recipe to reflect the desired heat. I also added a terser printable version of the recipe that fits on one page and omits all my blathering.

No comments: