2007-01-16

Rilo Kiley (Recommendation)

MGC turned me on to Rilo Kiley today. They are an indie folk-rock group (of former child stars) with a talent for writing pop lyrics your brain may actually be willing to listen to. Jenny Lewis provides enticing vocals. They are, however, much more at the "pop" end of the spectrum, both musically and lyrically, than something like Roads To Moscow. (Al Stewart is too forgotten to be floating around the Internet much, so please forgive the underlayed videogame footage.)

Recommended for both the Lite Brite animations as for the song: It's A Hit. Also, Bulletproof, Portions For Foxes, The Frug.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Yeah, Rilo Kiley is pretty good.

Although, Portions for Foxes got a bit overplayed here locally making me shirk them a bit recently...

Their previous album 'The Execution Of All Things' is also quite good. Their first? album, 'Take Offs and Landings' didn't do much for me on the first few listens and I haven't really tried it since then.

Jenny Lewis also had a recent solo album that garnered a lot of press and critical praise. I haven't gotten it, but what I heard off of it is OK. It is more country than R.K. but that's not a bad thing.

Chris said...

Oh and that video for "It's a Hit" is what made me interested in R.K. in the first place.