2007-01-11

The Name Of The Blog

This is how my brain works.

1. My first impulse was to call this blog Forsan Et Haec Olim Meminisse Iuvabit.

2. Then, I thought, I might as well be calling it Le Pretentious Curmudgeon. I thought that had some cachet, and was going to go for it...

3. But alas lpc.blogspot.com was already taken. Loco Por Cuba!

4. With my brain firmly fixated on available initials, and my own IBKC hissing and spitting around my ankles, my blog was doomed to a strange name that conveys little meaning.

Hey!

Just like the posts in the blog itself!

Serendipity.

(There used to be, and perhaps still is, a restaurant in State College, Pennsylvania that used that Aeneid quote as their slogan, not realizing the context in which Vergil placed it. It can be hard to justify pretentiousness, but when it unknowingly skewers itself like that, it is all worthwhile.)

(Look for many such opportunities to appreciate ostentation giving itself its own comeuppance on my blog!)

No comments: