2007-12-21

Gingerbread Failure (Chow)

NDM left me high and dry for gingerbread this year (something about critical once-in-a-lifetime studying for boards or whatever), so I thought I'd try something different. I took a stab at Joe Froggers.
They were a bit of a disappointment. Something is badly wrong with the recipe. I guess that'll teach me to get a recipe from a web site that also tells you how to snake a floor drain.
The initial stages, everything looked promising. Butter, sugar -- what's not to like?
Then in goes the rum. With the rum and the recipe's claim of spiciness, I was really looking forward to these...
Unsulphured molasses and baking soda completed the base.
After incorporating the 6c of flour, I was surprised by the ultra-moist consistency of the dough. But I was supposed to chill it overnight; that's a lot o' chillin'.
The rolling stage is where I realized my issues. The ball presented here is one third of the recipe that I've added an additional 2c of flour to. That barely got it to the point where I was able to roll and cut it properly, with care.
I experimented with the dough in different stages of additional flour (hence the "homey" handwrought shapes of some of the cookies, made with dough that could not be rolled and cut). I wanted to make some cookies crispier to please the wife and some a bit chewier. In the end, the cookies were just fine to eat, although without a particularly sharp spiciness which I had hoped for. I'll just have to keep looking and experimenting

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the Cook's Illustrated family of magazines had a recipe for these. I'll see if I can find it for you.