2007-12-03

Eww, Hardware

So I've been having problems with Avatar, my Linux server; failing power supply, failing CPU fan, a crashed RAID drive. Because I get lonely in the basement I've been dorking around with it in the kitchen, further endearing me to the wife. I'm hopeful that today will be the last day. Gotta:
  • Get the new hardware in place,
  • Get Fedora 8 installed,
  • Figure out how to mount and serve an external NTFS-formatted USB backup drive,
  • Get Galleon up and running for the Tivo.
If I'm particularly industrious I might look for some way to serve crap to the Xbox 360 (acquired for SAM's Thanksgiving visit this year). The web hasn't been all that helpful at selecting between uShare, 360 Media Server, and MediaTomb. Does anybody else have a 360?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My console is a 2600, and I have not heard of a was to load Linux on that.

For easy access to external USB drives, you could just use Ubuntu. That is easy to install and has USB support for my MyBook. Not necessarily optimal, and the wireless support took a fair amount of fiddling when I added the card.