2007-07-24

Tivo HD (Reblog)

The Tivo HD is available now for ordering, a cheaper and very slightly stripped-down Series 3. It looks like it hits all of the high points except for the all-important transfer of lifetime membership from my existing Series 2. However, such an option becoming available has not been entirely ruled out. A prepurchased 3 year service contract doubles the price of the Tivo HD to about $600, still substantially cheaper than a contractless Series 3... But I just can't give up my lifetime subscription.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Not true.
I got my Series 3 w/o contract for about $600.

Plus there is no way you would be happy with that amount of disk space, so you'd have to shell out more $$ for another drive...

Anonymous said...

What are you options for adding disk space? External SATA connection?

KRM said...

You can either crack it everyone did with their Series 1 & 2 Tivos, replacing the hard drive with your own larger one -- I don't know if hack tools exist to let you do that yet, but if not now I'm sure they will soon -- or use the included external SATA. Which is not yet enabled. But as soon as the media Nazis are satisfied, Tivo is planning on activating the thing.

If I recall, in order to defend Disney's fragile media empire, you'll only be able to buy certain special external hard drives to plug into the thing. Again, until hacking sets us free.