2007-06-16

Cooperative Cooking (Chow)

Local hotshot epidemiologist DAT joined us for dinner tonight. We had an unusually proper division of labor for the meal, with NDM working on the pasta and dessert while I handled the sauce and bread. We split appetizers down the middle. Often one or the other of us will make a meal; it is always especially fun when we actually get to collaborate a bit.
I've blogged about my artisan bread before. Making a bread like this fits very well into the nooks and crannies of other meal preparation activities.
Fresh pasta is a little more labor-intensive, which is why NDM handles it. I clean up all the flour and pasta scraps that end up on the floor -- assuming 'Dolon doesn't get there first.
I made a goat cheese variant of my generic red sauce to go with the fresh pasta.
We started off in the kitchen with wine, the bread, some soft Camembert, NDM's roasted garlic, and my red pearl onions in a caramelized wine glaze. It is very out of character for me to cook with onions once a month, let alone twice in one week, but I had half a bag of the things left from my earlier provençal vegetables.
The dinner was delicious, as was the dessert.
Our slight lentil error with the dessert was buried under whipped cream and chocolate. I had to pick the lentils out of the refrigerator-hardened crusts; clearly, even for such a small shell, we should have used parchment between the crust and the lentils.
And the best part is at the end of the night I get to freeze several bags of leftover sauce. I almost always try to make a lot of extra sauce for this purpose; whether it is a goat cheese sauce, or something with artichokes in it, or a puttanesca, it is always nice to be able to defrost some delicious homemade sauce for use on a pizza, a box of pasta, a nice crispy French bread, or even a mess of steamed vegetables.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to object to your repeated misuse of desert in place of dessert.

KRM said...

I always make that mistake, no matter how many times I get yelled at for correcting other people's spelling and grammar errors :-)