2007-09-30

Miscellaneous Cooking (Chow)

I've done a particularly poor job of documenting our last week or so of cooking...
Recently, I've been using a family heirloom pressure cooker my parents passed on to me. Does anyone else have one of these things? I love it! It is so incredibly fast and easy to use. Broccoli (2 minutes tops) and cabbage (6 or 7 minutes) have been my victims so far; when I successfully branch out into something other than plain vegetables I'll write it up.
NDM took the serviceberries we harvested and froze in June and made both jam and jelly out of them. Very yummy, although I've got to say they lack any special unique character -- like a sweet generic berry preserve.
Finally, I had a few eggplants and some big green tomatoes from our garden, and just a tiny bit of leftover polpette di ricotta and sauce. I tried an extremely sleazy and fast baking method with these, one that I won't use again -- the outcome was edible but not notable. In brief, put a very thin layer of light mayonnaise on the quarter-inch rounds, then sprinkled with a 50-50 mixture of parmesan and bread crumbs and baked at 375 degrees until they were done. The tomato came out better than the eggplant, which had a rubbery skin I should have removed before cooking.

No comments: