2008-10-03

Mustard Verdict (Chow)

I finally got around to making a small loaf of fresh bread so we could try my first stab at mustard. The verdict is in, and NDM and I both give it a thumbs up. I was afraid from the aroma after preparation that this would be far too vinegary, and maybe a little thin as well -- but neither fear was realized. The Frankenrecipe I created from trolling 100 different online mustard recipe resources produced a well-balanced, slightly sweet, moderately spicy mustard with a deep complexity of flavors. Mmm! I think I have my basis from which I can eventually manufacture any number of weird mustards.

Just to be sure, I'm going to take the jar up to my parents this weekend and see what they think.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I never thought of making mustard before...

Jenny hates it and I don't eat it on much but hot dogs.

Glad it worked out.

KRM said...

Actually tried it on a hot dog from our local dive for lunch today -- it was excellent! Didn't even need to put my normal uncouth ketchup on it.

Anonymous said...

Homemade mustard. Wow! You beat my homemade cheese. What made you add ground sumac berries?

KRM said...

I added the sumac because I have a jar of them that NDM got me as a present :-) Honestly, I don't think they added anything significant to the mustard -- they're a bit too subtle, at least in the volume I used, and with the other quite strong ingredients.

I wouldn't say this beats home-made cheese. Your cheese took a lot of work; this mustard was less than 10 minutes of dorking around if you don't count the resting.

Want some?