2009-12-03

Fiat Pond

NDM's dream of a real koi pond have finally come to fruition. Four feet deep with a waterfall and a stream, the deed is done.
As many home improvements do, this one began with spray paint.
Here I am pretending to help dig the pond. In reality it turns out that I actually could have -- even four feet down there is nothing underneath the Saint Augustine grass but sand.
I liked the pond well enough as a simple quarry in our front yard, but we had to press on.
It took about two weeks from start to unlandscaped finish.
The top of the waterfall gives us a nice view over our HOA battlements.
Up close it still looks like a bit like construction zone, and it will clearly take us some time to naturalize in the pond's margins.
We have seven small koi in the pond right now. After a week acclimating they are just beginning to feel confident enough to show themselves.
The fantail makes it really obvious that these things are basically trumped-up goldfish.
So far we seem to have one day-blooming and one night-blooming pad. We'll see how many water plants we can stuff in there once the pond gets more established.

3 comments:

Ant A said...

WOW! Fantastic! The fish look lovely. One question, though, how are you going to keep the raccoons out?

EJB said...

Awesome looking pond. Good luck with the critters.

KRM said...

I was going to say that I haven't seen any raccoons around -- but yesterday I was sitting at my desk in my office with the dogs sleeping at my feet and a raccoon hopped up on my window and started clawing at it, apparently trying to get in. My dogs almost killed me freaking out.

Given the depth of the pond I'd expect any fish with its GED should be able to avoid trauma.