2008-04-06

First Soup Of This Spring (Chow)

I made another experimental soup to foist off on AM while he is recovering from his last hospital adventure. This is a bunch of celery and a large leek reduced to tiny components and stewing in a little white wine, vegetable stock, and garam masala. Wow, this makes an aromatic soup! After cooking it down I hit it with the immersion blender to give it a nice, smooth, slightly thick consistency just a step or two shy of a split pea soup.

The leek, which is something I don't cook with much (because it is really just another evil onion trying to masquerade as food), had a synergistic effect with fresh pepper I did not expect which made the soup end up a bit more peppery than I had intended. But it was still quite good, unexpectedly so given the only modestly appealing ingredients I used.

Of course at the time I had not yet been informed that AM does not like celery. Luckily, he was too weak from his surgery to prevent my forcing the soup upon him anyway.

No comments: